Dryer Fire Causes Evacuation at Muskingum

Facebooktwitteryoutube

The Kelley and Patton residential halls at Muskingum University were evacuated Sunday evening, Jan. 15, after laundry inside a clothes dryer caught fire, according to Vice President for Institutional Advancement/Student Affairs, Janet Heeter-Bass.

No injuries were reported due to the fire, and the damage to the Kelley laundry room was not significant, according to Heeter-Bass.

A clothes dryer caught fire in Kelley/Patton Halls Sunday, Jan. 15. There were no injuries from the incident.
A clothes dryer caught fire in Kelley/Patton Halls Sunday, Jan. 15. There were no reported injuries from the incident.
Muskingum University Police received notification about the fire at 6:07 p.m. According to New Concord Fire Department (NCFD), three NCFD units and one Perry Township unit arrived on the scene at approximately 6:30 p.m. Roads to Kelley and Patton were closed until both departments cleared the scene at 7:20 p.m.

All students who were evacuated were instructed to go to the parking lots in front of and behind the Kelley and Patton residential facilities by their resident assistants. As of 8:17 p.m., students were able to return inside the facilities.

At 8:27 p.m., New Concord Fire Department confirmed the fire was caused by a clothes dryer in Kelley Hall.

The Kelley Hall laundry room will be closed until further notice. Stay with Orbit Media for more details as they emerge.

Photo: Chris Morgan, Video: Anna Kramig

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinmail